Sunday, November 4, 2012

Endowment

I'll be honest that I didn't know what the word "Endowment" meant for the longest time. Understanding that going to the Temple and getting a blessing from on high and gifts from God can really put perspective to your life. I think of it this way...what is the best achievement or gift someone can achieve here on earth? Some say the Nobel Peace Prize, other think the medal of honor or purple heart, or maybe even a Super Bowl ring could be the highest. They are all given to you from a world power, a king or President. How cool would it be to get the Nobel Peace Prize of the universe from the greatest King ever, our Heavenly Father? Fact of the matter is you can with the covenants and blessings in the Temple. 

While in the MTC I was able to go to the Temple once a week. It was great since I was there for 2 months. I remember sitting in the Celestial room on the last trip before flying out to El Salvador, knowing full well there wasn't a Temple in my mission and this feeling I had in me at that moment would have to last for 2 years until I could make it back. When the time came I reluctantly got up and walked out of the room and eventually out the front doors to look past the fountain onto the Provo valley and Utah Lake. If I didn't know any better I would have thought I was floating since everything is low elevation than the Temple. As we walked back to the MTC, I had a prayer in my heart that this feeling that was still in me would never leave until I could make it back. 

Without fail that feeling left over time, but the endowment never did. I was given power to fight through rejection, parasites, unbelievable heat, loneliness, and fatigue. The priesthood power and gift from Temple covenants helped me "float" above it all and find joy in the journey. Of course I missed the inside walls of the Temple but the knowledge and companionship of the Lord I was never without. 

As most people work a lifetime to earn such rewards and gifts, the Temple blessings are endowments to help with a life time of work to make it back where we all came from and belong! We need to make it to the Temple as soon as possible and for those that have gone, we need to go often as possible. I know it is something that I need to work on.  

No comments:

Post a Comment